The Big Green Egg is seen as being the king of all outdoor cookers. It is very versatile, as it allows you to bake bread, cook pizza, smoked cheese, and smoked meat. If you get the Big Green Egg, you will never look back.
The biggest issue with the Big Green Egg is the high price. Purchasing the Big Green Egg, along with the accessories, will set you back at least $1,400. This is four times what it would cost to get an Akorn Kamado. It is for this reason that many people are wondering if it is worth getting the Big Green Egg over the cheaper versions.
Indeed, the Kamado cookers have the same kind of design as the Big Green Egg. But how do they hold up against the rigors of testing? In this comparison, we will be reviewing all that you need to know when it comes to these three models.
Kamado Joe vs Char Griller Akorn Kamado
Many people don’t know this, but there are two major versions of the Kamado. The Kamado Joe and the Char Griller Akorn Kamado have two very different price points. While you can purchase the Akorn Kamado for a little under $300, the Akorn Kamado will set you back at least $800.
The Kamado Joe does hold the heat in better. But many customers of both versions say that there isn’t really much of a difference. The Akorn Kamado still does the trick at a much lower cost.
Big Green Egg vs Kamado
The Big Green Egg is definitely the higher-end version of the Kamado. There is no question that it does offer more than the cheap version of the Kamado.
Here are some of the benefits that the Big Green Egg has over either one of the Kamado versions:
- Holds in the heat better: You can quickly bring the Big Green Egg up to 1000 degrees if you want. Or, you can keep it at a low constant heat for hours without needing to check it. This is part of the reason why the Big Green Egg is so great. Some people run this cooker all night long, knowing that it will do the trick.
- Made of ceramic: The fact that the Big Green Egg is made of ceramic means that it will not rust nearly as easily as the Kamado. Provided that you take care not to drop the Big Green Egg, it will last far longer than the kamado. However, if you do happen to drop the Big Green Egg, it will shatter to pieces.
- Lifetime warranty: Thankfully, the Big Green Egg comes with a lifetime warranty. Should anything ever happen to it, simply contact the manufacturer.
- Available parts: Many people feel that the Big Green Egg company will continue to create parts for the grill. You are really buying into a lifetime’s worth of upgrades. At least, that is what customers say about this company. Then again, this could just be a way to justify the large cost that they have incurred in purchasing it.
- Versatility: One of the greatest advantages of the Big Green Egg is that it is not just for cooking meat. You can bake bread, make pizza, smoked cheese, and use it to smoke meat to your heart’s content. Just keep in mind that Big Green Egg is not any better at smoking meat than the Kamado.
The advantages above are just great. But the Kamado cookers also have their advantages. The following are true of both the high-end and lower end Kamados:
- More space: The Kamados have considerably more space than the Big Green Egg. This means that you will be able to cook for more people.
- Will not break when dropped: You can drop the Kamado and it will not break as the Big Green Egg would. This is because the Kamados are not made of ceramic.
- Adept at getting to high temperatures: Just as with the Big Green Egg, the Kamado can get to high temperatures. It’s just that they cannot get to temperatures as high as the Big Green Egg. But they can get up to 650 degrees pretty fast.
- Won’t break the bank: The Kamados are so much more cost efficient. Even the much pricier Kamado version is only half the price of the Big Green Egg. In fact, the cheap Kamado version is several times less expensive than the Big Green Egg.
- Better at smoking meat: Some customers have noted that the Kamado is more efficient at smoking meat than the Big Green Egg. This is due to the way that the temperature adjusts itself.
Where To Get The Kamado Cookers
We feel that it is best to get the Big Green Egg from a dealer, so we will only focus on where to get the Kamado cookers. It seems that Amazon has some of the best prices for both the Kamado versions. If you would like to view the cheapest prices on Amazon for the Kamados, please see below:
The decision between these three cookers is one about price, as well as utility. The Char Griller Akorn Kamado is the most affordable, and it smokes meat just as well as the pricey Big Green Egg. The Kamado Joe is twice as expensive as the Char Griller Akorn Kamado, and is only marginally better. As most customers say, get the Big Green Egg if you can afford it. The biggest advantage to the Big Green Egg is that it is versatile. But if you are mostly wanting to smoke meat, you may be better off with the Char Griller Akorn Kamado.
OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these