Having a manual grinder to make your coffee in the morning increases the quality of your day. As part of your coffee making, you can grind your awesome smelling whole bean coffee. This keeps your grinds fresh before you put them into your coffee maker.
While there are electric coffee grinders, they are all so noisy and require you to have access to an electrical outlet. They are also much more expensive and require more maintenance.
The JavaPresse and the Porlex are popular manual coffee grinders. Both look almost identical except for a few small differences. But aside from the look, is one better than the other? In order to settle this matter, we have created our JavaPresse vs Porlex comparison.
JavaPresse vs Porlex
JavaPresse and Porlex Similarities
The JavaPress and the Porelex look almost identical. Before we get into some of the differences between these manual grinders, we will be covering the features that make them similar.
- Stainless steel construction: The stainless steel of these grinders means that you don’t have to worry about random spots and fingerprint marks that ruin the look.
- Long cylindrical shape: The long shape of these grinders does not mean that they grind any less beans. Their burrs are actually quite wide and are very similar to the ones used in larger grinders.
- Looks attractive and modern: These grinders look attractive and are a great addition to a modern kitchen.
- Long grinder handle: The long handle allows you to do your grinding without much force.
- Ceramic burr: A ceramic burr is the staple component of any good manual grinder.
JavaPress vs Porlex Comparison
There are few things that set the JavaPress and the Porlex apart. As you learn, the Porlex is the more expensive of the two. While the JavaPresse grinder is a good option, the Porlex has a few advantages.
Advantages of the Porlex
- Better defined burr: The burr component of these grinders is the most important part. The ceramic burr has grooves that grind the coffee beans as you turn the handle. The Porlex has a better defined burr component than the JavaPress. Its grooves are deeper and more plentiful. This means that they will be more effective at grinding your coffee beans. This is perhaps the most important difference between these two grinders.
- Settings clicks are more defined: Both of these grinders click as you define the grind setting. As you turn the setting dial, you should hear some clicks that will let you know how deep you are getting into the grind settings. With the Porlex, the dial is simply better made. You will feel and hear the clicks better so you will have a better idea of where you are in your settings.
Advantages of the JavaPresse
- Windows at the bottom: While the JavaPresse has two windows at the bottom, the Porlex does not. With the JavaPress, you can see how much coffee you have ground by looking through the window.
- Coffee volume capacity: With the JavaPresse, you can grind 35 grams of coffee beans at a time. But with the Porlex, you can grind 30 grams of coffee beans. While this is a small difference, some people may have specific requirements in terms of the volume coffee beans they grind.
- More affordable: The JavaPresse is considerably less expensive than the Porlex.
The Porlex is the most expensive grinder out of the two. To compare the prices between these two manual grinders, please see below:
JavaPresse vs Porlex: The Verdict
If you are just a casual coffee drinker, the JavaPresse would be sufficient for you. The main benefit of the Porlex over the JavaPresse is the fact that it has a better ceramic burr. This allows for find grind levels. This is also enhanced by the fact that it has a better designed dial that has clear clicks when you select a grind level.
If having a window at the bottom of your grinder is important to you, the JavaPress might be the better choice. Particularly because it is also the cheapest option. Both of these manual grinders are great and offer excellent value.
OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these