The Redwing and Porter lines are a great commodity and today’s outdoor market. Along with being high end backpacks, they are affordable and durable. We have compared the Kelty Redwing 44 vs Osprey Porter 46 specifically in order to clear up the confusion between them.
Kelty Redwing 44 vs Osprey Porter 46
A Comparison Between the Redwing 44 and the Porter 46
In order to compare these two models, we would like to outline some of their greatest features.
Osprey Porter 46 Features
The Porter 46 is the more durable of these backpacks. It features a nylon body instead of polyester. Polyester is used for the Redwing 44, which is not as durable as the nylon of the Porter 46.
As you will see, the Porter 46 has higher-end features than the Redwing 44. This also means that it is more costly, but not by very much. Here are some of the best features of the Porter 46:
- Made of nylon: The Porter 46 is made of 420D nylon.
- Convertible backpanel: The backpanel on this backpack can store the shoulder harness. This means that you can put away the straps and be left with a backpack that looks like a duffel bag. This way, you can comfortably put away your backpack by checking in at the airport or putting it in the back of a bus.
- Top and side carry handles: There are padded carry handles on the top and the side of the backpack. The side of the backpack has a carry handle so that you can easily lug it around when the backpanel is stowed away.
- Main compartment accessibility: The main compartment of the Porter 46 is made to be extra accessible from the top.
- Osprey Daylite pack compatible: The Porter 46 is compatible with the Daylite pack. It has strap outside of the front pocket that accommodate for this daypack. This is great if you want to have a light backpack that you can roam around in the city with.
- Front panel organization: The front panel is organized in such a way that it separates your smaller items. You can store your electronics or your pens, as well as your maps and notebooks.
Kelty Redwing 44 Features
The Redwing 44 is not quite as compact as the Porter 46. As the name suggests, the Redwing backpacks kind of look like they have wings on the sides. It is the least expensive of these backpacks but it does have its advantages.
- Accessible top pocket: The top pocket on the Redwing 44 is accessible from the top and from the sides. However, the main compartment does not have the same accessibility as the Porter 46.
- Dual hydration/laptop sleeve: The hydration pocket inside of the main compartment also doubles as a hydration sleeve.
- Stash pocket: Instead of putting your dirty clothing in the main compartment of your backpack, you can put it in the stash pocket that resides behind your front pocket. After it rains, you can simply put it there and not get the rest of your gear wet.
- Daisy chains: There is a daisy chain loop outside of the front pocket.
- Turn your small items: Instead of putting all of your very small items in the top pocket, side the organizational pockets in the front compartment.
- Carry your trekking poles: You should easily attach your trekking poles to each side of the backpack using the special attachment points.
- Side mesh pockets: Put your water bottles inside of the side mesh pockets. You can also use these side pockets for your energy bars and other items.
The gear capacity on these backpacks are slightly different:
Redwing 44: 44 liters
Farpoint 40: 46 liters
Kelty Redwing 44 vs Osprey Porter 46 Price Comparison
In order to compare the prices between the Redwing 44 and the porter 46, please see the links below:
In comparing the quality between the Kelty Redwing 44 and Osprey Porter 46, we see that the Porter 46 is the best at preventing abrasion and general wear and tear. It has a nylon body that remains more durable than the polyester of the Redwing 44.
What are the main differences between them is the fact that the porter 46 has a stowable backpanel. You can convert this into a duffel bag so that you can check it at the airport. The porter 46 is also versatile because it accommodates for the Daylite pack. The Daylite pack is useful if you’re going to go for a short walk in the city.
Overall, we feel that the porter 46 has more to offer. But if you want a backpack that is less expensive and has plenty of good features, the Redwing 44 is also a great backpack.
OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these