Do you have children and want to live an active lifestyle? Many parents struggle to incorporate active living into their busy schedule. After all, parents can’t easily keep the kids at home when going for a jog or cycling adventure. But Thule has created some very handy bicycle trailers that you can use to take your kids along with you.
The Coaster XT and the Coaster 2 is specifically designed with the cycler in mind. But they also convert into a regular jogging stroller. If you’re interested in doing both these activities, this Thule Coaster XT vs Coaster 2 comparison is for you. After all, it is best to get to know the differences between very similar models for the siding on one of them.
What They Have In Common
In case you are not already aware of the many wonderful features that these jogging strollers have, here’s a short list.
- Converts easily from cycling trailer to a walking/jogging stroller.
- Easily foldable to a smaller package in order to put them in your trunk or under your bed.
- The removable front wheel has a secure spot on the stroller where he can be stored. This is for when you want to attach a stroller to the back of your bicycle.
- Can fit one or two children for a maximum of 100 pounds capacity.
- Does not require any extra purchases for kids in order to attach your stroller to the back of your bicycle. It comes preloaded with the Thule ezHitch system that allows you to do just this.
- The handlebars are adjustable to different heights for the comfort of both the mommy and daddy.
- Various accessories are available for these strollers. You can purchase them separately based on your own needs.
- There are storage pockets on both sides of the baby seat, and a large stuff-pocket in the back.
- The five point harness that attaches to your bicycle meets international safety standards.
- Made for children that are six months and up.
Differences Between The Coaster XT and the Coaster 2
Now we are going to cover what makes these convertible strollers different from each other. First, we would like to mention that the Coaster XT is the most recent version of the two. The Coaster XT has a few features that make it slightly more versatile and simply better than the Coaster 2.
Here is a list of features that the Coaster XT has over the Coaster 2:
- Front wheel rotates freely: The Coaster 2 has a fixed wheel for the front. While this is great for jogging, it is not very suitable for basic manoeuverability. However, the Coaster XT has a lockout pin on the front wheel. This means that it can be made into a fixed wheel for jogging. Or, it can be made into a freely rotating wheel for ease of manoeuverability when walking. This makes the Coaster XT more versatile.
- Overall bigger but narrower: The Coaster XT is overall bigger in terms of square footage, but is also narrower. This gives it a slight advantage over the Coaster 2 because it reduces the amount of space that it takes up on the road. This makes it safer for the baby.
- Lightweight: Although the Coaster XT is larger in dimensions, it weighs about the same as the Coaster 2.
Thule Coaster XT
- Weight: 11 kg
- Dimensions: 77 x 103 x 137cm
Thule Coaster 2
- Weight: 11 kg
- Dimensions: 91 x 77 x 67cm
Thule Coaster XT vs Coaster 2: Price comparison
In order to be able to compare the prices for these bicycle trailers, it is best to view them from a merchant site. In order to see the cheapest prices for the Coaster XT and the Coaster 2, please see below.
It seems that the Coaster XT offers better features than the Coaster 2. While being narrower to allow for more room for cars to pass, it makes up for the lost volume in other dimensions. It also has a more flexible front wheel, allowing for it to move freely instead of being fixed. Of course, if you want a fixed wheel for jogging, simply pin it into position.
Overall, we feel that the Coaster XT is simply the better option.