The Timbuk2 line of backpacks has been highly popular in recent years. They come in a few variations that appeal to different people for different reasons. But they do have one thing in common; they are stylish and made of high-quality materials.
While there is no going wrong with any Timbuk2 backpack, they all have variations and features that you want to pay attention to. It is in this way that you can decide between two very similar models. We have created this Timbuk2 Uptown vs Command comparison in order to show you the differences between them.
Timbuk2 Uptown vs Command
What They Have In Common
If you’re considering purchasing the Uptown or the Command, you’ll want to be aware of the features listed below. These are the features that make these backpacks stand out above regular backpacks.
- What they are used for: These backpacks are great for daily commuting, as well as traveling abroad. They are great for your daily activities because of how light they are. They are not too large, each of them giving around 30 liters of gear capacity. There will be more on these specifications below.
- TSA-compliant: The fact that both of these backpacks are TSA-compliant is a major plus if you’re carrying your laptop with you while taking an airplane. TSA compliance means that the laptop compartment lies flat when it is unzipped. This allows it to go through security scans without the need for removing the laptop. This makes it far less cumbersome, and is appreciated by many customers.
- Laptop sleeve: Both of these backpacks are specifically made to safely carry laptops. The maximum size of the laptop you can carry is 15 inches. There will be more on the specific dimensions later on in this article.
Timbuk2 Uptown vs Command: The Differences
Since these backpacks are made for the same purposes, they also include many of the same features. But it is interesting to note the differences in features below.
Timbuk2 Uptown Features
The Uptown is the most rectangular of the two. If you are looking for a classic look, the Uptown has it. But it also adds a little style by giving you many color variations to choose from. While it has less volume capacity than the Command, it also looks a bit bigger due to its shape.
One great feature about the Uptown is the fact that it has a swing around access design that allows you to retrieve your laptop without even taking off your backpack. This is not a very uncommon feature in backpacks, but is one that is highly appreciated.
Below are the specific dimensions, weight, and volume capacity of the Uptown.
- Top width: 11.2 inches
- Bottom width: 11.6 inches
- Height: 19.5 inches
- Depth: 6.5 inches
- Maximum Laptop dimensions: 11.4 (width) x 15.9 (height) inches
- WEIGHT: 2.4 lb or 1.1 kg
- VOLUME: 30 liters
Timbuk2 Command Features
The Timbuk2 Command has rounded corners, giving it a more modern look. If style is of the essence for you, the Command is a great option. While it looks smaller than the Uptown, it actually has 2 liters more gear capacity at 32 liters. The Uptown has 30 liters of gear capacity. It is also slightly more durable with its 400D nylon faille material. This could also mean that it will be more waterproof.
Below are the specifications for the Timbuk2 Command:
- Top width: 13 inches
- Bottom width: 11.4 inches
- Height: 18.8 inches
- Depth: 5.5 inches
- Maximum Laptop dimensions: 11.4 (width) x 15 (height) inches
- WEIGHT: 2.4 lb or 1.1 kg
- VOLUME: 32 liters
As you can see, these specs are very similar to the Uptown specs.
Comparing the Prices
Prices for backpacks change all the time, so we cannot list the specific prices here. In order to view current prices for the Uptown and the Command, please see below:
We do not have a specific preference between these backpacks. The Uptown seems to offer a very nice bonus, which is the ability to reach for your laptop without taking it off. However, the Command has a bit more volume capacity and does look more modern with its rounded corners. The Command also seems to be the most durable, although the Uptown is more durable than the average backpack.
In the end, we feel that many customers will decide which of these backpacks they prefer based on the look.
OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these