OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these
Tumi and Rimowa are high-end luggage companies. They both create different types of luggage for the same purposes. Which type of luggage you choose depends on your particular tastes.
In order to help you decide which of these luggage pieces to go for, we have created this Tumi vs Rimowa Carry On comparison.
Comparing The Tumi And Rimowa Carry On Suitcases
In order to compare these, we have made a list of their most prominent features for each of them. This way, you will be able to compare them and see which is for you.
Tumi Carry On Features
The Tumi is the most classic looking of these luggage pieces. It has a business look that the Rimowa does not have. It is made of fabric instead of aluminum, it looks very professional.
- Tumi tracer tag: One of the great things about the Tumi carry-on suitcase is the fact that it comes with Tumi’s own tracer tag. If your luggage forever to get lost, you would be able to track it down using this tag.
- Meets carry-on requirements: The Tumi meets carry-on requirements most airlines. This luggage piece can be placed in the overhead compartment.
- Signature ballistic nylon fabric: Tumi has a ballistic nylon that I use used for many of its luggage pieces. This nylon is very durable and definitely beats any polyester luggage piece.
- Monogramming feature: The front pocket has a tag on it that was made to allow for monogramming. You can stamp the leather on these tags with your initials or whatever else you might like.
- Aluminum telescopic handle: This luggage piece has an aluminum telescopic handle to allow for the rolling of the suitcase. When using this handle, you can actually feel the quality with which was worked.
- 360 spinner wheels: The spinner wheels on the Tumi carry-ons give you 360 mobility.
- Suitor section: There is a section inside of the main compartment made specifically for suits and dresses. This section has a hanger bracket on which you can hang these clothes. This section is large enough for two suits or two dresses.
- Large mesh pocket: There is a large mesh pocket for your toiletries or other small items.
- Mesh tie down straps: There are thick mesh tie down straps for holding down your clothing. These tie down straps are extra wide in order to maximize the efficiency of the compression.
- Expandable: The Tumi carry on is expandable to 2 inches wider and the interior compartment.
Rimowa Carry On Features
The Rimowa is made of aluminum, and is hard shell carry-on. Is features are different from the Tumi, which we will outline here.
- Meets carry-on requirements: The Rimowa meets carry on requirements with most Airlines.
- Aluminum case: The Rimowa is made of aluminum, thus protecting your gear from compression.
- Top and side handles: To facilitate the lifting of the suitcase, you can use the top and slide handles.
- Retractable handle: As with the Tumi, there is a retractable handle so that you can roll this around easily.
- TSA approved locks: There are combination locks on the Rimowa that are tsa approved. The Tumi does not even have any locks. Granted, you could lock the Tumi using your own padlocks.
- Compression panels: Inside of the main compartment, there are large compression panels on both sides. This prevents your gear from sloshing around as the luggage gets moved. On top of each compression panel is a large mesh pocket for your smaller items.
- 360 spinner wheels: The Wheels on the Rimowa spin at 360 degrees in order to allow you to freely move.
In order to compare the prices between the Tumi Carry-ons and the Rimowa carry ons, please see the links below:
There is no clear winner between the Tumi and the Rimowa. The Tumi is great for professional uses, as well as just going for the standard look. It is highly durable with this ballistic nylon. We love the fact that Tumi has provided a tracking tag so that if your luggage gets lost, you’ll be able to track it down.
The Rimowa is great if you want a hard shell carry-on. Hard shell luggage helps to protect your gear against hard bumps. It also provides you with a very attractive piece. The fact that the Rimowa has combination is great, but the Tumi can also be locked using padlocks.