Are you a mountaineer or ice climber and need a solid Osprey backpack that is especially made for your needs? The Variant 37 and Mutant 38 are highly popular choices for this matter. They both offer attachments for your skis and your ice tools. They are also built for the rugged activity that you must undergo for climbing mountains.
We have created this Osprey Variant 37 vs Mutant 38 comparison in order to show you how they stack up against each other. We will be going over what you need to consider before purchasing either one of these ice climbing backpacks. Before we do this, you’re going to cover what they both have in common.
Osprey Variant 37 vs Mutant 38
What The Variant 37 And Mutant 38 Have In Common
We feel that it is important for you to understand what these ice climbing backpacks are all about before we get into the nitty-gritty of comparing them. In the section below, we have listed all of the key features that you need to be aware of.
- Ski attachments: Do you like to go skiing with your backpack? Both these backpacks have ski attachments in order to facilitate their transport.
- Made to be lightweight: The aluminum stays and inner frame sheets make for a very light suspension system. This this rotates the ascension of an ice climber by eliminating some of the weight that would normally be found in a regular backpack.
- Removable top lid: In order to further save yourself from some of the weight, you can completely remove the top lid. Once removed, throw the included flap jacket over the main compartment area and secure it to create a compressed package.
- Tool holsters and bungee tie-offs: The tool holsters on these backpacks work in conjunction with the bungee tie-offs to create an adequate attachment point for your ice tools.
- Compression straps: This is an important part of any specialized backpack. The compression straps help to stabilize the load as you are going up and down a mountain.
The above section is only a very short list of all of the features included mountaineering backpacks. This is because we have included the rest of them in the sections below. Below, we will talk about what features each of these models have that are different from one another.
Comparing The Osprey Variant 37 vs Mutant 38
Each of these backpacks have their own benefits to them.
Advantages Of The Variant 37
The Variant 37 generally has more features than the Mutant 38.
- Very comfortable hipbelt: The removable hipbelt of the Variant 37 has a special contour to fit your waist optimally. It aids in transferring the load evenly from your back to the hips. This way, you do not feel like you’re carrying quite as much on your back. The narrow cut of the hipbelt accommodates more movement and makes way for a climbing harness.
- Front panel compression pocket: The front panel has a sort of compression pocket built into it. While it does look like a regular stash pocket, it is actually reinforced to allow you to store your crampons. Because it is so accessible, this super easy to put the men and take them out when needed.
- Side wand pockets: You can put your wand or ice tools inside of the dual side pockets. What is great about these pockets is that they are placed strategically to allow you to take the tools out quickly. This was especially made for your safety.
- Bottom angle: The bottom is more angled than the Mutant 38. It allows for easier gliding down a mountain.
Advantages Of The Mutant 38
- Webbing loop attachments: Although the Mutant 38 does not have a crampon storage pocket, it does have a webbing loop in the front to allow you to attach crampons to it.
- Simple design: Some people like the simple design of the Mutant 38. Although this does mean that it is less feature-rich.
- More lightweight: The Mutant 38 is generally lighter than the Variant 37.
- Better airflow: This backpack has better airflow than the Variant 37.
Osprey Variant 37 vs Mutant 38: Price Comparison
Since the Variant 37 this the most feature-rich of these backpacks, you’ll find that it is generally more expensive at most merchant locations. To see the cheapest prices for the Variant 37 and Mutant 38, please see below.
It is clear that the Variant 37 is simply the most fully-featured of these backpacks. It has wonderful attachments for all of your tools and seems to be the most comfortable.
Perhaps the biggest benefit of the Mutant 38 is the fact that it is more lightweight due to having less features. If you want a lightweight backpack that is very simple without all the bells and whistles, perhaps the Mutant 38 is for you. But if you’re looking for an awesome backpack with all of the features you would want in a climbing bag, the Variant 37 is a great choice.
OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these