OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these
American Tourister and Samsonite sell luggage that are very similar in design. It is not surprising that the Samsonite website also features American Tourister products. In this American Tourister vs Samsonite comparison, we cover what the real differences are between these two brands when it comes to their luggage. More specifically, we have decided to focus mostly on their wheeled travel luggage.
The wheeled travel luggage of both of these brands are highly popular. American Tourister and Samsonite are among the top providers of luggage in North America. Before we go over their differences, we would like to point out how very similar they really are.
What Makes American Tourister And Samsonite Similar
If you’re looking for professional look, both of these brands are the way to go. While most see American Tourister as more of a fun brand, the also have some pretty serious looking luggage pieces that are as professional looking as Samsonite.
Here are some of the features that make these brands a great:
- Multidirectional spinner wheels: Nowadays, there really is no reason to use wheeled luggage that does not have multidirectional spinner wheels. If the technology is there, we may as well use it. American Tourister and Samsonite have been are wheels that will allow you to nimbly go around corners without needing to readjust your luggage all the time.
- Inner organizational pockets: In both the American tourist are an Samsonite, there are inner organizational pockets. Customers love the fact that they can separate their smaller items using these pouches. These pockets are intermixed as mesh and plastic pouches. The plastic pouches are waterproof, so you can store some of the items that you have that may actually rupture or spill without needing to worry about affecting the rest of your gear.
- Straps: Inside of these luggage pieces are straps that help you to separate out your folded clothing from the rest of your gear.
- Integrated carry handles: The carry handles on these luggage pieces are highly integrated into the body of the luggage. This means that you will be able to carry a heavy piece of luggage by its handle without ripping it off. Use the handle to put your luggage inside of the vehicle, and carry it down some stairs.
- Highly durable: While the American Tourister and Samsonite luggage pieces are made with slightly different material constitution, they are both made to be highly durable. There will be more on the differences in material later on in this article.
- Telescoping handle: A rolling suitcase would not be complete without a telescoping handle. The handles on the American Tourister and Samsonite luggage pieces are compatible with a person of any height. The telescoping handle helps you to manoeuver the luggage when rolling around, and pulled back into the luggage when not needed.
- Outer organizational pockets: We love the fact that luggage pieces have organizational pockets on the outside. This allows us to carry items that we will be needing to access on a frequent basis.
- Great reviews: Both the American Tourister and Samsonite luggage have great reviews. Many customers feel like they cannot decide between these two brands, as they are highly similar in design and quality.
Differences Between The American Tourister And Samsonite
Perhaps one of the biggest differences between these two brands is the fact that Samsonite is made of slightly more durable material. While the American Tourister luggage is mostly made of polyester, Samsonite luggage is mostly made of nylon. We realize that this is a generalization, as both of these brands have polyester and nylon blends.
In case you are unfamiliar with the between polyester and nylon, we will give you a rundown. Both nylon and polyester are synthetic fabrics that are very similar from one another. They are both lightweight and durable, and often found in luggage and outdoor gear. They are both resistant to stretching and shrinking. However, nylon tends to be the most durable and weather-resistant. This is why items made of nylon tend to be slightly more expensive than items made of polyester.
Samsonite is the most well-known brand, and does cost about 20% more on average than the American Tourister luggage. Apart from being more durable, Samsonite luggage is also heavier than the American Tourister luggage. This could be due to the fact that Samsonite comes with a heavier frame, which makes it more durable.
It is also worth noting that American Tourister does come with some pretty nerdy styles. Those who are into nerdy characters will love some of American Tourister designs, such as the luggage that have Darth Vader or Mickey Mouse on them.
If you want to compare the prices between the American Tourister and the Samsonite luggage pieces, please see the best prices on Amazon:
Overall, both of these brands are pretty great. The Samsonite luggage seems to be the most durable and a little bit pricier. While both brands have professional looking luggage, the American Tourister also has some nerdy looking pieces.
It is difficult to choose between these brands, as it is a matter of personal preference. What is your preference? Please leave us a comment below and let us know what you think.