OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these
The Husqvarna chainsaw brand has long been a favorite among arborists, as well as professional foresters. It has created many models of chainsaws since its inception. There really is no going wrong with this company.
But many people seem to find it difficult to decide which model chainsaw they want to purchase. This is likely due to the sheer amount of them available, as well as the fact that they seem very similar. Just take a look at all of the product photos. So many of them just look identical. Not only that; the specs look very much the same as well.
So how does one decide between these chainsaws? This comparison is for the Husqvarna 455 vs the 460. They are made for small to medium trees, but they are also of different value. We will explain how in this review.
What Makes the Husqvarna 455 and the 460 Similar
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of comparing these chainsaws, we would like to outline some of the characteristics that make them similar.
- Easy to start: It is so much easier to start these Husqvarna chainsaws than it is to start chainsaws by their competitors. Husqvarna has incorporated some design elements that help to prevent the hard tension that comes with pulling on the draw cord. If you are a novice at using a chainsaw, you will find this particularly useful.
- Less filter replacements: You will need to replace the filter a lot less often with these chainsaws. But when you do replace it, you will find that it is super easy to do because of the way that it is designed.
- Meets emissions standards: Even the most stringent emission standards are met by these chainsaws. Husqvarna is an eco-friendly company despite the fact that its main purpose is to produce high-end gas machines.
- Anti-vibration technology: The designs of these chainsaws help to minimize the frequency of the vibrations that happen when cutting through wood. This helps to protect your hands and arms, and makes the chainsaw more comfortable to use.
The above are only a few of the Husqvarna features that are included in many other models, including the 455 and 460. Now, lets get into comparing these models.
A Husqvarna 455 vs 460 Comparison
In order for us to adequately focus on what makes these models different, we would first like to list their specs. Here are the specs that most people find to be important when looking at chainsaws:
- Engine displacement: 55.5 cm³
- Power output: 3.49 hp
- Bar length: 13 – 20 inches
- Fuel consumption: 470 g/kWh
- Weight: 12.8 lbs
- Engine displacement: 60.3 cm³
- Power output: 3.62 hp
- Bar length: 13 – 24 inches
- Fuel consumption: 437 g/kWh
- Weight: 12.79 lbs
As you can see, the power output of the Husqvarna 460 is higher than that of the Husqvarna 455. This makes sense considering that the maximum bar length suggested for the Husqvarna 460 is actually 4 inches higher than that of the 455.
Despite the fact that the maximum bar length of these models differ by 4 inches, they both accommodate a minimum of 13 inch bars. What this means is that the Husqvarna 460 is simply the most versatile of the two. This would also be why it costs more than the Husqvarna 455.
Also, even though the Husqvarna 460 accommodates longer bar lengths, it has a lower fuel consumption per hour. This is because the Husqvarna 460 is build with a more fuel efficient design. It should be noted that the Husqvarna 460 has the bit more vibration on the front handle than the Husqvarna 455. This is not very significant but could be noticeable by some, especially over long periods of time.
Comparing the Prices
Given the fact that the Husqvarna 460 is simply the most advanced chainsaw of the two, it tends to cost around $60 more at a chainsaw dealer. But if you purchase it on Amazon, you could get a competitive price.
In order to view current prices on Amazon, see here:
It is clear that the Husqvarna 460 offers a higher-end chainsaw model. It accommodates 24 inch bar lengths. 24 inch saws can cut through medium-sized trees. Since the maximum bar length for the Husqvarna 455 is 20 inches, it is ideal for small trees. One of the great things about the Husqvarna 460 is that it is more fuel efficient than the Husqvarna 455. If you don’t mind paying more for the fuel efficiency and the higher power output, the Husqvarna 460 is a great choice. It does not weigh any more than the Husqvarna 455.