The Marmot Minimalist and the Precip were made with the avid hiker in mind. They are both very similar in design and in the fact that they are waterproof. This is why many people are wondering what the actual differences are between them. In fact, they both serve the same purpose, but in different ways.
In this review, we are making a comparison between the Marmot Minimalist vs the Precip. But first, we will go over what makes them both amazing jackets.
What the Marmot Precip and the Minimalist Have in Common
In order to protect against the elements, both of these Marmot jackets have fully enclosed protection at the head area. The collar is quite high and the hood features a stiffened area at the front. This will prevent it from drooping so that rain will not fall on your face.
In order to prevent air from coming in through the sleeves, there are cinches on the cuff that shut with velcro. These velcro tabs are so thin that it will not restrict the use of gloves over them. In order allow for ease of movement, they are designed for ‘angel wing’ motion. This means that you can comfortably move your arms around in any direction without feeling any pull from the fabric.
Although these jackets are waterproof, they are made with breathable fabric. Keep in mind that the fabric on both of these jackets are different from each other. We will cover this in the next section.
Differences Between the Marmot Precip and the Marmot Minimalist
In order for you to better decide between these jackets, we will list the differentiating features of each.
Marmot Minimalist Features
The Minimalist is the most advanced of the two jackets. As it is made of more expensive materials, it is also more expensive to purchase.
- Gore-Tex fabric: Unlike the Precip, the Minimalist is made of Gore-Tex fabric. This type of fabric ensures that the jacket will be 100% waterproof. This provides more waterproofing then the ripstop nylon of the Precip. Gore-Tex is also a breathable fabric, so no need to worry about sweating it up in more humid climates.
- Chest napoleon pocket: A napoleon pocket is one that is placed vertically along the breast areas. This zippered pocket gives you an additional spot to store your smaller items. It also has two sides zippered pockets where you can keep your hands warm. The Precip also has these pockets in the same area, but not the napoleon pocket.
Marmot Precip Features
While the Precip is the least expensive of the two, this does not mean that it lacks any features.
- Ripstop nylon: Instead of being made of Gore-Tex, the Precip is made of ripstop nylon. This is also completely waterproof, but the waterproofing is supposedly of lesser quality than the almighty Gore-Tex. That being said, the majority of customer reviews boast the fact that rain does not get through the Precip.
- Inner liner: The Precip has a special inner liner with pores that let out the moisture. So instead of building up sled on the inside as you are going about your hike, it escapes the membrane and out of the jacket. But it also does not let any moisture in.
- Highly breathable: The Precip is made of the most breathable type of material available today for jackets! It is even more breathable than the Minimalist.
- Very lightweight and stowable: Although the Minimalist is also lightweight, the Precip is even lighter. This is awesome for lightweight backpacking. The Precip can easily be folded into an orange sized ball and stored inside of your backpack. It will barely take any space at all.
The Marmot Minimalist is made of Gore-tex, it is generally more expensive than the Precip. If you would like to see the current best prices for the Minimalist and Precip, please see the link below:
Marmot Minimalist vs Precip: The Verdict
While the Minimalist is technically the most advanced of these two jackets, it is not necessarily always the best decision for everyone. If you prefer a jacket that is more lightweight and very foldable, the Precip does have its advantages. It is made of the most breathable fabric available on the market. But the Minimalist is made of Gore-Tex, which reassures you that it will never let any water through.
This can be a tough decision. Having read the information above, which of these jackets would be the best for you? Please leave your comment below.
OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these