The North Face Thermoball and the Patagonia Nano Puff are both made for colder climates. They are ideal for winter sports like skiing or hiking. But they can also be taken along with you while traveling to foreign cities. Many people use the Nano Puff for their daily commute in winter. The Thermoball and the Nano Puff are two popular Puff jackets that people tend to compare.
Many customers of quality jackets are wondering which of these two models is the best. We have done all of the research for you and give you our Patagonia Nano Puff vs The North Face Thermoball comparison.
The North Face Thermoball vs Patagonia Nano Puff
Both of these jackets are made to be very lightweight and packable. You can easily roll them up and put them in your bag. Despite the fact that they are lightweight, they also insulate against a lot of cold. They are both water-resistant, but not waterproof. This is good since being waterproof would prevent them from being breathable.
We will note ahead of time that we do not feel there is a clear winner between these two jackets. Both have their pros and cons, and we are going to list them below.
Patagonia Nano Puff
The Nano Puff is the pricier jacket of the two. Here are the features that differentiate it from the North Face Thermoball:
- Less insulation: Puff jackets such as these have subway rectangle insulation pockets all around its body. Using this construction makes insulation the most optimal. However, the Nano Puff has less insulation than the Thermoball. This is due to the fact that the subway rectangles have a lower loft and has insulation filling. Does this mean that it is much warmer than the Thermoball? Customers have noted that the Thermoball is only slightly warmer than the Nano Puff.
- Wind-resistant: While both the Nano Puff and the Thermoball are water-resistant, only the Nano Puff is wind-resistant. One might think that since this jacket has less insulation, it would also be less wind-resistant. However, more insulation does not always mean more resistance against the wind.
- Less puffy and less tapered: Despite its name, the Nano Puff is less puffy than the Thermoball. Some would think that maybe this makes it more attractive or modern.
The North Face Thermoball
While the North Face Thermoball is less expensive than the Nano Puff, this does not mean that it is of lesser quality.
- Most popular: Despite the fact these two jackets are very similar, the Thermoball seems to be the most popular of the two. Perhaps this is due to the fact that it is less expensive than Nano Puff. But there may be other reasons why the Thermoball is preferable, as will be seen by the features below.
- Tapered look: While the Nano Puff has a very relaxed fit, the Thermoball tapers down towards the waist. That being said, Thermoball still technically has a relaxed fit; it is simply less relaxed. It should be noted that male customers tend to feel that the Thermoball fits them loosely around the chest. The men’s Thermoball maybe too big for some if they have a small chest.
The North Face Thermoball vs Patagonia Nano Puff Prices
As mentioned previously, The North Face Thermoball is generally less expensive than the Patagonia Nano Puff. Patagonia clothing does tend to be pricier in general. Would like to see the cheapest prices for these two jackets, please follow the link below:
The North Face Thermoball vs Patagonia Nano Puff: The Verdict
Both of of these jackets are made to be lightweight and water-resistant. While they look pretty thick, they are both highly packable. If they get wet, they dry quickly so no need to put them away.
The choice between the Nano Puff and the Thermoball is a difficult one. We feel that the majority of the difference comes in the design and fit. The Nano Puff is designed have thicker insulation and has less tapering. But while the Thermoball is designed to have a tapered look, some male customers feel that it can be quite large towards the chest area.
While the choice between the Nano Puff and Thermoball is still subject to debate by many, most customers make their decision based on price. Since both of these jackets are very similar in design, the fact that The North Face Thermoball is significantly less expensive means that they have a higher number of sales.
What is your opinion in this debate? Do you feel that one jacket is better than the other? Please leave us your comment below.
OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these