OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these
Carhartt and Dickies are work garment companies that have been around for decades. They have garnered a reputation with workmen/workwomen all over the world. It is difficult to decide between these two companies, as they are both making high-quality and durable products. We have decided to create this Carhartt vs Dickies comparison in order to really show you the differences between these two companies.
In order to show you the difference, we selected two of their most popular garments to compare: the Dickies Men’s Original 874 Work Pant and the Carhartt Men’s Double Front Duck Utility Work Dungaree Pant B01. As many potential customers are confused as to how these models compare in terms of the fit and durability, we have made a comparison list below of all of the features in which they are different.
But before we get into the comparison, would first like to cover a little bit of history about each one of these companies.
A History Of Carhartt
The history of Carhartt really started off in the year 1889. This is when Hamilton Carhartt founded his company and produced overalls in his loft. While it did not take off immediately, Hamilton started to focus more on the market research, which catapulted him to create the bib overall. This became highly popular back in the day.
Throughout the World War I and II, Carhartt produced uniforms for the U.S. military. In 1929, the stock market collapse caused the Carhartt company to almost come to a close. But Hamilton kept the business alive with his passion and tenacity.
Throughout the 70s and 80s, more people learned about the Carhartt brand, and it became highly popular. In 1996, Hamilton’s great-grandson became the president of the company and ushered it into the global era by establishing operations in Europe and on the Internet.
For the past 15 years, Carhartt has been producing millions of garments and has headquarters in Europe and in Mexico.
A History Of Dickies
Just as with the Carhartt Company, Dickies started off by producing bib overalls. These overalls sold all over the U.S. since 1922. This was after “Colonel” Dickie had established the business in 1918 with a few friends.
Very early on, Dickies grew steadily, but was slowed slightly by the Great Depression. However, during World War II, Dickies produced millions of uniforms to the U.S. military. It is in doing so that this company expanded geographically and built several production facilities.
Dickies has expanded into the international market, opening up the stores and Europe and the Middle East. Since then, it has been continually expanding and producing various types of garments that are sold throughout the world.
Comparing The Carhartt And Dickies Pants
Here, we are specifically going to be comparing the most popular pants by both companies: the Dickies Men’s Original 874 Work Pant and the Carhartt Men’s Double Front Duck Utility Work Dungaree Pant B01. Below is a list of features that are important to people and their purchasing pants. We are going to be covering each of these features by comparing these pant models based on each feature.
- Materials: The Carhartt pant is made of 100% cotton, while the Dickies pant is made of 65% Polyester and 35% Cotton. Generally speaking, the Dickies pant stiffer and heavier than the Carhartt. This may mean that it will be more durable, but there is no proof of this. But this also means that the Dickies is not as soft on the skin. However, some people have found that the Dickies pant softens up after a few washes.
- Creasing: This is a purely aesthetic feature, but is worth mentioning for those who care about the way the pants look. The Dickies pant has a permanent crease across the middle. This means that they will look more professional, even though this is simply a work pant. The Carhartt pant does not come with a crease.
- Leg width: The Carhartt pant leg with a significantly larger than that of the Dickies. The comfort and feel of this depends on how large your legs are. Some people who have skinny legs find that the Carhartt pant leg is a bit too wide for them.
- Leg length: Generally speaking, the Carhartt pant comes in a longer leg than that of the Dickies. Many customers actually like this because they extend beyond the top of the boot and really covered up. This makes for more protection for the foot. But others find that their pant leg is too long for them if they are short. Keep in mind that you can always machine wash and dry your pants because they will shrink lengthwise. So customers were found that their pants were initially long have machine wash them in hot water and tumble dried them to make them shrink.
- Pocket depth: The pocket depth of the Carhartt pant is significantly deeper and will provide for more room for storing your small items and putting your hands in.
- Waist height: The waist height of the Carhartt pant is significantly higher. Some people like this because it more comfortable, as if it is not going to slip down. But others prefer the Dickies’ lower waste as it tends to look more modern.
Generally speaking, Dickies clothing is more cost-effective than the Carhartt. As for their pants, there is about a $20 difference between them. If you like to see the cheapest prices for Carhartt and Dickies workwear, please see the links below.
While the Carhartt pants the more expensive, they come in a slightly less durable material. However, some people feel that they fit better. The Dickies pant tends to come in a rather small waist and are not criticized according to some customers. The Carhartt pant also has a higher wait, which helps to prevent pants from slipping down. The advantage of the Dickies pant is the fact that it has a more modern look with its permanent crease and shorter leg length.
Which of the two companies you choose depends on which feature you like the most.