Coleman is a well-known outdoor gear company that sells a very wide variety of products. Some of these products are propane fueled gas stoves they can bring along with you while camping. One that has been in production for a long time is the Coleman Classic stove. It is so popular to this day. Anyone has come out called the Coleman Triton. It is a slightly more advanced version of the Classic.
You may be wondering what the difference is. In this Coleman Triton vs Classic comparison, we are about to cover what makes two very similar propane stoves different.
Coleman Triton vs Classic
Similarities Between the Triton and the Classic
Before we get into how these those are different, let’s cover what features they have in common.
- Two independent burners: We say that these are independent burners simply because he can set the level of heat output independently from each other. He can set these learners at a very low temperature to a high temperature.
- Wind protection: Both of these stoves have wind protection flaps at the sides. This is super important considering that if the wind is blowing a certain direction, it can actually blow the flames away from the bottom of the pants that you have on top.
- Rust resistant cooktop: The grill-like cooktop of these stoves is made to be rust resistant. We have had ours for several years and it never experienced any rust.
- Cooktop surface area: The stoves have a cooking area that fits a 10 inch pan and a 12 inch pan all at once. You can actually purchase pans for these stoves separately. You can also put any pan that use a home on top of the stoves. We personally love using cast iron pans, as a last longer and they do not get that dark effect underneath.
What Makes the Triton and the Classic Different
There are couple of small differences between these stoves.
- Heat output differences: The Coleman Triton’s heat output is 11,000 BTUs per burner, which comes to a total of 22,000 BTUs. The Classic total heat output is 20,000 BTUs. This small 2,000 BTU difference this not really change the way that you cook. It may take only slightly longer to bring your cooking temperature up with the Classic. Another thing to remember is that since the Classic temperature is lower, so will be the fuel consumption.
- Push button matchless ignition: The Triton has the InstaStart matchless ignition. This is a wonderful way to keep your hands safe because he will not need to light a match and put it in the line of fire (so to speak). Don’t have any matches around? No problem! Keep in mind that the Coleman Classic requires you to have a match or a lighter on hand.
Coleman Triton vs Classic: Price Comparison
There used to be a significant difference between the Triton and the Classic. Since the Triton is more feature-rich (as above), tends to come at a higher price. Prices have come down recently so it is not as much of an issue. If you would like to see current prices for both of these stoves on Amazon, see below:
Both of these propane stoves are solid options. We do have a preference for the Coleman Triton because of the fact that it has matchless ignition. That’s because we have used matches to light the stoves and it always becomes an issue when the hand is not moved immediately. Not having a matchless ignition means that you will need to be coming around for either matches or a long-necked lighter.
Prices no longer much of the consideration for people wanting to purchase the Triton. Some customers used to say that the extra 2,000 BTUs is not worth the extra cost. But with the competitive pricing that is present on Amazon, prices of con down to the point where people tend to not mind it.
That being said, why not get a matchless ignition for a low price? The Triton has all the same features of the Classic and more.
OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these