OffTheGridGearHub.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these
The Husqvarna 400 chainsaw models are their most popular series. It is for those who want a little bit more than a beginner chainsaw, but don’t have a need for something that is for professional use.
There are many great advantages to purchasing either the Husqvarna 440e or the 440. But in this Husqvarna 440e vs 440 comparison, we will really get down to what makes them different. We will suggest one of them over the other, as there is a clear winner.
What Is Great About the Husqvarna 440e and the 440
While you may be wondering what is different about these models, it is also worth getting into what makes them both great. Below are some of the unique features of the Husqvarna 400 series that you should be aware of.
- Novice friendly: Husqvarna has taken it upon themselves to design chainsaws that are very user-friendly, even for the novice. If you have never used a chainsaw before, you may not yet be aware that it is tricky to start the engine. But Husqvarna has made it super simple by designing its chainsaws in such a way that there is a lot less tension on the draw cord.
- Environment friendly: If you are environment conscious, you will love the Husqvarna brand. They specifically make their chainsaws to produce less emissions than the competing brands. With this in mind, you can rest assured that your chainsaw meets the most stringent emissions guidelines in the world.
- Easy filter replacement: The filters on these chainsaws are very easy to replace. They produce no hassle, so you can get on with your arboring.
- Reduced filter replacement frequency: Due to their unique design, Husqvarna chainsaws require you to replace the filters less often.
- Less vibration: You will be pleased to know that you get the least amount of vibration possible in these models. This is just great for doing an entire day’s worth of work, as you will be fatigued less often.
Comparing the Husqvarna 440 and the 440e
In many cases, when comparing different models of products from the same company, there is usually no clear winner. This is due to the fact that their models are usually of the same quality but include different specs.
In the case of these two chainsaws, one of them is clearly better than the other, and we will tell you exactly how. First, lets take a look at their important specs.
- Bar length: 18 inches
- Engine displacement: 40.9 cm³
- Power output: 2.4 hp
- Weight: 9.25 pounds
- Bar length: 16 inches
- Engine displacement: 40.9 cm³
- Power output: 2.41 hp
- Weight: 9.7 pound
As you can see from the specs above, the power output of these chain saws are very similar. The extra 0.01 hp of power of the Husqvarna 440e is negligible.
The big advantage to the Husqvarna 440e is the fact that it has a tool-free chain tensioning design. This means that tensioning the chain will be a whole lot easier for you. This stands in contrast with the Husqvarna 440, which requires a T-wrench in order to tension the chain.
You may have noticed that the Husqvarna 440e has a bar length of 16 inches, while the Husqvarna 440 has a bar length of 18 inches. If you require a bar length of 18 inches, you can either purchase the Husqvarna 440, or you can purchase an 18 inch bar separately along with the Husqvarna 440e.
How Do the Prices Compare?
It is interesting to note that both of these models are usually the same price. Even given the fact that the Husqvarna 440e has tool-less chain tensioning, it does not increase the price. But this could also be due to the fact that its bar length is 2 inches longer than that of the Husqvarna 440.
To see the current lowest prices on Amazon, please see below:
We feel that the clear winner in this case is the Husqvarna 440e. It has all of the features of the Husqvarna 440, except for the fact that it has tool-less chain tensioning. This makes it a bit more efficient and less of a hassle. If you want to purchase a chainsaw that has an 18 inch bar instead of a 16 inch bar, then you may need to go with the Husqvarna 440. Then again, you can always purchase an 18 inch bar separately and add it to the Husqvarna 440e.
The choice is up to you. If you would like to share your opinion on which of these chainsaws is the best, please leave your comment below.